[wplug] Update on Pitt

MICHAEL M DELANEY mmdst23+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jan 31 22:54:19 EST 2002

The CS dept. uses linux?  A few of the grad TA's, proffs, and those others
lucky enough to have their own office might, on their box, but some of the
proff's also have sparcs and other non-pc's, it seems to be on kind of an
individal basis.  I was a CS TA over the summer, the boxes in the
undergrad ta/officeless proff's office were nt or 2k, they had the ability
to boot into some version of Red Hat, but I never saw anyone ever use it.
Also, the boxes in the econ lab are dual boot, but linux was only used
once in a while for clustering (I heard that from the guy who runs the
lab), but they bought a dedicated small "cluster", 4 rackmounted sun
netra's.  The only publicly accessable linux boxes on campus that I know
of, other then the new lab, is the math lab in thack.
Mike