[wplug] x-windows for multi users

jsbillings at mac.com jsbillings at mac.com
Thu Jan 31 16:56:23 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 12:54, Henry Umansky wrote:

> Is there anyway to have xwindows(gnome or kde) to start for some users
> logging into the workstation and have other users use the console if they
> wanted too?  Is there a script out there?

I have a .[,z]login that checks what kind of tty you logged in under
(since the tty you get as a login is usually tty[0-9]*) and starts X if
you are logging in at the console.  It does some other things, like
start up ssh-agent and makes sure X isn't already started.  I use zsh,
here's a snippet from my .zlogin to show what I do.

if [[ `tty` == /dev/tty<0-9>* ]] {
        echo "Running a console term"
        if [[ -z `ps auxwww|grep xinit|grep -v grep` ]] {
                echo "Starting X"
                exec xinit
                }
        }