[wplug] Pitt Linux

Henry Umansky hmust2+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:20:13 EST 2002

I work here at the Linux lab and we just opened the lab on Monday, and Pitt
doesn't usually advertise new labs.  The only advertisement was a 1/4 page
article on the second page of the pitt news.  Anyway, this lab houses about
50 computers, half red hat 7.1 half win 2k.  On monday, there was no one
here, on tuesday, maybe 4 people, 1 Linux user, wednesday, a day after the
Pitt news article, about 40 people all day (10% linux users), and today
there was even more.  I have no idea why they call it a productivity lab,
all I know is that the software installed on the Linux machine are
virtually the same software as the windows machine, in other words both OS
have "schoolwork-related apps".  Other than school work related apps, I
don't know what other kind of applications they need.  Also, this is a
proto-type lab (whatever that means), so if it's successfull (in terms of
students and staff appreciation of Linux) then they will build more Linux
boxes in other labs.  Also because it is a proto-type lab, if there is
software that a student requests that is not installed, there is a very
very good chance they can get that software installed (see if they will do
that for the windows machines).

-Henry

--On Thursday, January 31, 2002 12:44 PM -0800 Bryon Gill
<bgtrio at linuxfreemail.com> wrote:r