BSDs Re: [wplug] .Net Launch

Brian Sammon brians at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 31 09:15:48 EST 2002

> > The package management methods may be converging, but such things as
> > configuration don't show any sign of converging (though the common
> > > ancestry thing means they're somewhat similar)  For example, OpenBSD just
> > switched to a new packet-filtering/firewall system, and I don't think
> > FreeBSD or NetBSD use the same thing.
>
> Odd example, since all three BSDs have taken different approaches to packet
> filtering as long as I can remember.  FreeBSD actually offers 2 options, nativ
> ipfw or ipfilter.  I believe ipfilter is used by the other BSDs as well as
> GNU/Linux.

OpenBSD has just recently replaced Darren Reed's ipfilter with a homegrown package called "pf".  Does Linux actually use ipfilter in addition to iptables/ipchains?  I figured they served the same purpose.

> You're pretty off-target on this.
> Too much unity would defeat the entire purpose of there being more than one BSD,
> period.  Keep in mind, NetBSD is attempting to be as hardware compatable as
> possible, while OpenBSD is attempting to be as secure as possible and FreeBSD
> is attempting to be as good on the Intel platform as possible.
> Thus, if FreeBSD does something that's very specific to improve performance on
> the Intel platform, it may not be adopted by NetBSD because it's Intel only.
> OpenBSD tends to take a VERY conservative view of incorporating new features -
> from either NetBSD or FreeBSD ... only after it's been proven secure for
> quite a while
> does OpenBSD incorporate it.
> That being said, there really is a LOT of code sharing between the three.  I > know many
> folks who have commit rights on all three projects.  The ppp system is an
> example of
> something written for all three.
> In the end, they'll all be different, and yet similar.

Sounds to me like we're pretty much in agreement here.  Your last few sentences sound a lot like a description of the various Linux distributions.

P.S. Please don't Cc: me on mailing-list messages.