BSDs Re: [wplug] .Net Launch

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jan 30 23:14:50 EST 2002

Being a BSD geek prior to being a GNU/Linux geek, I figured I should pipe up ...

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 15:59, Brian Sammon wrote:
> > Being a *BSD guy, yes all the install are pretty much the same - at least
> > up until 2 months ago which was the last time I installed all three. And
> > I think in the future the will become more alike since there is a unified
> > package movement so that if a package works on one BSD it should work on
> > all BSD without any modifications. I think this would lead to the package
> > select/setup of the install to become alike which now is the major
> > difference in installation.
>
> The package management methods may be converging, but such things as
> configuration don't show any sign of converging (though the common
> ancestry thing means they're somewhat similar)  For example, OpenBSD just
> switched to a new packet-filtering/firewall system, and I don't think
> FreeBSD or NetBSD use the same thing.

Odd example, since all three BSDs have taken different approaches to packet
filtering as long as I can remember.  FreeBSD actually offers 2 options, native
ipfw or ipfilter.  I believe ipfilter is used by the other BSDs as well as GNU/Linux.

> As for installs, all I can say is, superficially, they look rather
> different.  I remember a ncurses-like graphical install interface to
> FreeBSD, and OpenBSD is a much plainer install interface.  (I don't know
> NetBSD)

I'm always amazed at the amount of attention paid to install programs.  Especially
considering how little they're used.  Obviously, a workable installation process
is necessary, otherwise the user will never get going.

> I think the OpenBSD leaders have said that trying to be "unified" with
> with other Unixes would conflict (for some differences) with their primary
> goal of high-security.

You're pretty off-target on this.
Too much unity would defeat the entire purpose of there being more than one BSD,
period.  Keep in mind, NetBSD is attempting to be as hardware compatable as
possible, while OpenBSD is attempting to be as secure as possible and FreeBSD
is attempting to be as good on the Intel platform as possible.
Thus, if FreeBSD does something that's very specific to improve performance on
the Intel platform, it may not be adopted by NetBSD because it's Intel only.
OpenBSD tends to take a VERY conservative view of incorporating new features -
from either NetBSD or FreeBSD ... only after it's been proven secure for quite a while
does OpenBSD incorporate it.
That being said, there really is a LOT of code sharing between the three.  I know many
folks who have commit rights on all three projects.  The ppp system is an example of
something written for all three.
In the end, they'll all be different, and yet similar.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services