[wplug] don't waste your time

Rick Harris ftumph at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 22:18:14 EST 2002

It's obnoxious, but because of their monopoly position Microsoft has become
the de-facto standard that you have to interoperate with.  There are two
approaches to this, either have available to you an equivalent (or better!)
piece of software that will communicate seamlessly with the Microsoft
software, or if no such software is available, have the ability to seamlessly
run Windows software.

That's one of the reasons that many people have used the Tunney Act to
recommend that the Microsoft settlement include the publication of the Office
document formats.

I've had a lot of success finding decent replacements for the Windows
software I was using, but I'm not there 100%.  StarOffice will still massacre
an Excel spreadsheet on occasion, for example.  Then again, maybe there is
something better that I'm not aware of.  My fallback position is a copy of
Windows and Office 2000 running on VMWare.

I guess my question is, taking the assumption that we are now in a Windows
dominated computing environment, how close can we get to seamless
interoperability?  Can a Linux workstation be configured in such a way that
it is both hassle-free for the user and the other users are unaware that the
computer *is* a Linux workstation.  If we can come up with that, then we've
really got something to show people that is compelling and doesn't make them
feel like they're taking a big risk.

Then you put together some sort seminars that people can come to and be
educated.  That's a whole other topic.

Getting back to the previous topic, this is why I'm interested in the topics
for Saturday.  While I already have VMWare, I'm interested in learning more
about the current status of Wine, and in general I'm curious to know what
others have done to interoperate with Windows in other areas.  What is the
best way to handle Office documents, for example?  What about Exchange?  Is
Evolution a viable solution to this?  (I say this with almost no real
knowledge about Evolution).  You get the idea...

- Rick