[wplug] unable to telnet

Jeffry D. Woods jdwoods at attbi.com
Wed Jan 30 19:44:18 EST 2002

Been following this post for the past couple of days. Mandrake is kinda
RH'ish, and I use RH and maybe able to help here. First, on the install,
if I chose to use the strong security firewall, telneting was stopped by
ipchains. This is the default for strong security, but it can be broken.
Secondly, RH uses xinetd, check to see if you have a directory,
/etc/xinetd.d, which contains a file called telnet. If so, there is a
line in there that says disable = yes (default too), change that to say
disable = no. Try to telnet then, if that don't work, you're right back
to the strong firewall. Temporarily set this to no firewall, and test
that to see if you can telnet into the box. If this works and it should
at this point, then it's the strong firewall rules.

The firewall rules in RH are located in a file /etc/sysconfig/firewall
and you will have to edit this file. The ipchains rules in that file, if
I remember correctly, specifically block with either DENY or REJECT and
use port numbers. You will have to look for the rule that specifies port
21, and remove that line. For safty sake, make a backup copy of the
firewall file first, before removing the line. Then test it. I won't be
much help with the ipchains rules, as I use my own rules in iptables,
and on install I said "no firewall" so I don't have an example to look
at. Also, in those rules, again if memory serves me correctly, you may
run into the rule setting a deny or reject for a range of ports, like
say 20 - 100, you could move the port range up to start at 23 or
something like that.

I hope this helps or gets you closer to the answer!

Jeff