BSDs Re: [wplug] .Net Launch

Person, Roderick personrp at ccbh.com
Wed Jan 30 16:12:34 EST 2002

>For example,OpenBSD just switched to a new packet-filtering/firewall
system, and I don't think
> FreeBSD or NetBSD use the same thing.

I know this is just a random example, there is discussion among the
developers in freebsd of switching  to this system. I was not much
interested in it being that I don't have a server so I haven't kept up with
it.

But these leads me to something, it seems that in the BSD world there is
more of a willingness to adopt better methods across the different variants
if something is better. Where as with Linux it seems to be more 'no let's do
it this way' methodology at least from my point of view.

> As for installs, all I can say is, superficially, they look rather
> different.  I remember a ncurses-like graphical install interface to
> FreeBSD, and OpenBSD is a much plainer install interface.  (I  don't know
> NetBSD)

That's about all the differences other than how the packages are grouped.

> I think the OpenBSD leaders have said that trying to be
> "unified" with
> with other Unixes would conflict (for some differences) with
> their primary
> goal of high-security.

That is true OpenBSD wants high-security out-of-the-box. But FreeBSD and
NetBSD can be configured to have the same security as OpenBSD does. It's
just that OpenBSD chooses to set it up out the box and the others let you
choose.