[wplug] don't waste your time

Douglas Green green at np.awing.upmc.edu
Wed Jan 30 11:21:26 EST 2002

I still use linux for my file server (and it's perfect for the job), but
I reverted to XP on my laptop. Why? It wasn't so much that linux was
hard to use, or difficult to learn- it's the simple fact that I got
really REALLY tired of file compatibility problems. In my work there are
(unfortunately) certain standards that are unavoidable. Often, these
include some form of Microsoft product. For example, Outlook's calendar
free/available service for scheduling appointments, or generating
posters for meetings with Powerpoint (John, I believe you asked about
posters recently).

I stuck with linux on my laptop for 2 years, but in the end I got tired
of puzzled looks when I would ask if I can send a postscript file to an
oversized printer ("no, just send a powerpoint file..."). Judging by my
own experience, people that are very computer literate are NOT the
problem to address (ie: the .net lunch attendees). The problem is, and
will continue to be, the fact that Microsoft has the advantage of a
"founder effect" on the desktop. Most people don't care enough to want
to learn something different- particularly if that means that they are
somehow out of sync with the rest of the world. Personally, I do not
view my choice of OS as a time to make my stand against all-that-is-evil
in the world. After all, we're talking about my JOB and my PRODUCTIVITY
here. I'll use the tools are compatible and standard.

IMHO, save your CDs, mass distro burnings, evangelism, and avoid
linux-snobbishness like the plague (ie: "do we really want everyone?"-
of course we do!). Linux has a lot to offer, but also a long way to go
before it is acceptable for the average end user whose only computer
exposure has been through MS products. If people learn on linux first, I
think it will be more accepted.

Doug