[wplug] .Net Launch

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jan 30 10:37:29 EST 2002

I'm terribly. sorry, but I feel the need to jump in here ...

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:47:32 -0500
> "Weber, Larry A" <laweber at switch.com> wrote:

> > What Linux development applications, IDE, etc. would you try to hold up
> > to the M$ visual development tools.  Certainly not KDevelop, or Glade.
> > Neither comes close to being as complete as even 10 year old M$ tools.
> > Emacs and gdb are even more primitive.  Kdbg works, once in awhile.  Mono
> > and DotGNU are a long way off.

This statement is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in quite a while.  Take a
look at Visual Foxpro and try to debug it when Dr. Watson comes up.

Also, I strongly object to the very notion that GUI == technically advanced.
gdb is an excellent, and *very* powerful debugger.  I'm not going to say that
Microsoft doesn't have tools that are powerful, since I don't have a whole lot
of experience in development in current MS development environments.

I DO object to the use of the word "primitive" when referring to Emacs and gdb,
since gdb is one of the most advanced and power debuggers I've seen in a
while. Just because it's console based and not GUI-based doesn't mean it's
primitive.
And if you want an IDE, check into Code Crusader for C++ work. It can trace
and debug class trees that crash most other IDEs.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services