[wplug] .Net Launch

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Wed Jan 30 10:20:47 EST 2002

> > > However, most of the PC software developers I have
> > known, who have tried
> > > Linux, feel it is a nightmare to administer
> >
> > Now I'd say the same of Windows.  A complete
> > nightmare to administer for
> > anything other than 'out of the box' uses (and even
> > then, still a pain).
>
> Linux can be difficult to administer, but part of that
> is because there are a multiplicity of distributions
> and no standard. For instance, the difference between
> configuring a NIC for ip aliasing in RedHat vs.
> Slackware...

but isn't choice a good thing?  some prefer redhat over slackware, and
vica versa .. or any other distro that may exist.

as for the 'nightmare' of administration ... what's so nightmarish?  i
can't speak for everyone on the list, but i was primarily a windows user
long before i ever considered linux for my workstation.  making the
transition was difficult but that was merely because i was learning
something new.  it wasn't really any more difficult than the first time i
learned about ms-dos and whatnot.  but now that i'm knowledgable,
i'm not even aware of administering until i consciously think about it.

coldie