[wplug] unable to telnet

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Tue Jan 29 16:47:33 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:56:54PM -0500, John M. Rocker wrote:
> The inetd.conf file has the line in it and it is NOT commented out.  I have
> got to the point where the session is not dropped immediately but none the
> less it is still dropped.  I am not getting prompted for a password or
> anything.  I am starting to think that it is something with the hosts.allow

Quick way to see if it is hosts.allow: comment out all lines in
hosts.deny .

I've run into cases where hosts.allow is really picky.  For example,
my hosts file had:

    10.0.0.13	mymachine.mycompany.com mymachine

and hosts.allow had:

    all: mymachine

And it didn't work.  But this did work:

    all: mymachine.mycompany.com

I found it by disabling the effect of hosts.deny, which let me know
things were working in some bounded (and unsafe) way.  Then I started
to attack my assumptions and found this.  Actually, I had help on this
as I was visiting an installfest in some other town.

-- Rick