[wplug] .Net Launch

Bryon Gill bgtrio at linuxfreemail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:38:15 EST 2002

Regarding not redhat,

I hear what you're saying, but if the goal is to get someone who is used
to windows insert_cd-click-click-click-you're installed process to try
something different, you probably want to go with the one that will create
the least hardware detection headaches, and I'd love to hear that that is
something other than redhat.

I've heard good things about progeny but haven't tried it myself- is the
install as simple as the redhat one?  Having to manually set up scsi
emulation for your cdburner, for instance, is likely to turn a lot of
people off.

Finally, perhaps the focus should be on showing that linux and linux apps
can be run with a windows install, perhaps cygwin and distros that can run
atop windows (redhat includes this option in the default install, if you
have a FAT partition), which will not so much offend the windows
developers as intrigue them with the promise of new markets in which to
wade before swimming into the deep end.

And if they end up deciding that proprietary and undocumented API's are
for the birds, well, who could blame them?

Bryon Gill (aka abe ferlman)