[wplug] Debian, boot SCSI card inits

Evan DiBiase edibiase at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 16:29:16 EST 2002

On 1/28/02 2:22 PM, "coldfire" <rolick571 at duq.edu> wrote:

>> While reviewing the boot process, I see that my Debian install is
>> attempting to init all varieties of SCSI controller cards until it finds
>> the Adaptec 2940 card that I have. Where can I go to eliminate those
>> calls to init the non-existant cards or which document describes where
>> that is found in a debian distro?
>
> you are probably using a default kernel which probes for a variety of scsi
> cards or else there's a script that's probing for you .. to eliminate the
> probing, you'd want to compile a custom kernel for your machine with just
> the support for your card.

Additionally, if you're interested in building a custom kernel "the Debian
way," I suggest installing the "kernel-package" package and then reading
through the documentation on it.

The long and short of kernel-package is that it allows your custom kernels
to integrate with the Debian package system, which means everything goes in
the right place, dependencies on the kernel are all correct, and LILO gets
set up correctly with the new kernel (and a backup copy of the old one). I
highly recommend using it.

-Evan