[wplug] nis authentication via samba

John Harrold harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Sat Jan 26 15:35:58 EST 2002

Sometime in January Bill Moran assaulted keyboard and produced...

|John Harrold wrote:
|> i have a linux box running nis, and samba. we have one windows machine (nt)
|> and a few vmwares (98) running about. i want to validate the user name and
|> passwords via samba against the nis records. is this possible?
|
|Have you tried it yet? I've done this with FreeBSD and once nis is set up
|correctly, samba just uses it with no special config necessary. I don't know
|for sure, but I'd assume that Linux will operate in a similar manner.

currently i have it set up using the smbpasswd file, the default i believe.
i'm not quite sure what i would have to change to get it to use either nis or
the unix passwd file. i dont even know if this is possible. does the unix
crypt return the same thing nt does when it encrypts the password for
validation?

--
john
"have algorithm-will travel"