[wplug] U.S. Robotics Modem

DAVID G MATTHEWS dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jan 24 23:08:37 EST 2002

Is this an internal or an external modem? (If it's external, I can't help,
because I know nothing about external modems under Linux.)  If it's
internal, try finding the irq and port that the modem is using.  If it's a
PCI modem, type (as root) lspci -v.  If it's ISA, type the following two
commands:
pnpdump -c > /etc/isapnp.conf
isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
This should give you the irq and port.  Once you have that, you need to
tell Linux what device name to use for the modem.  Usually the modem is
/dev/ttyS2, /dev/ttyS3, or something like that.  It might also just be
called /dev/modem.  Assuming you want to call it /dev/ttyS3 (which is what
my internal modem is), you would enter the following command:
setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq IRQ port PORT
where IRQ and PORT correspond to the actual numbers you got from lspci or
pnpdump.  You might have to try a few different values for the /dev/ttyS
before it works.  The problem is that setserial needs to be run every time
the machine boots, so once you find a setting that works, put the
setserial command (with the proper values) in the file /etc/rc.config.
I would be surprised if Mandrake doesn't have some easy way of automating
this whole procedure (or at least part of it), but I don't use Mandrake so
I wouldn't know.
HTH,
dgm