[wplug] new interest

David Gerard Matthews Jr. dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jan 24 22:45:46 EST 2002

Probably the best way to start would be to bring your computer to an
installfest.  I'm not sure when the next one is; check the wplug web
page.  You'll be able to get help on installing and configuring Linux
from more experienced users, and it's a lot of fun.
Before you do that, however, you should check out some Linux sites, and
I'd recommend picking up a good Linux reference book or two.  Make sure
your hardware is supported - winmodems, a few sound cards, and some
printers are the most likely culprits for stuff that doesn't work.  You
also might want to check out a few distros.  Mandrake is a good newbie
distribution, as is SuSE (which is what I personally use).  A lot of
people also like Red Hat, but I have no personal experience with it, so
I can't comment one way or the other about its ease of installation.
Debian and Slackware have a lot of fans, but the general consensus is
that Slackware at least is meant for people with previous Linux/Unix
experience.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux!  It's a lot of fun.
-dgm