[wplug] Linux and laptops, archatechure

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Jan 24 14:27:03 EST 2002

My two cents are:

For various work related foo, I have an HP Omnibook 6000. I've been happy
with the feel of the book, and given the number of them we have at work,
the number of problems we've had seem reasonable (a battery and backlight
failed on different laptops)

When I've had to call support, it made me nervous telling them I had linux
installed, fearing the 'You'll have to install windows before we support
it' response. But, they took me at my word when I told them that we were
experiencing hardware problems.

One note, is that these laptops are the higher end business models.
Someone else I know has one of the lower end models and did get the
windows responce, and when she sent her laptop in to fix a display
problem, they wiped out her freebsd install and reinstalled windows.

-james