[wplug] Linux and laptops

Evan DiBiase edibiase at mac.com
Thu Jan 24 05:35:00 EST 2002

On 1/24/02 2:17 AM, "Randy Spark" <rspark at blackbox.com> wrote:

> 3:  I remember hearing about a project to allow the running of windows apps
> on Mac, a long time ago.  Does anyone know if anything ever came of
> this?  I'd like to expand my search to Apple hardware, but have too many
> legacy Doze apps to start from scratch.  In this vein, has anyone ever
> triple booted a machine?  Apple OS, Linux and Windows?  Is this even
> possible given the differing chip architectures between Intel and
> Motorola?  It seems to me that if Linux can run on the Apple hardware, then
> Win should be able to also.  Then again I know nothing about this so I can
> be totally off base and not even know it.

If you don't mind using a commercial application, Virtual PC 5.0
(http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5m.html) is supposed to work well; I
imagine that, using VPC, you should also be able to "triple-boot" (in a
sense" MacOS and Linux, with Windows running in MacOS.

With regard to the different architectures: Linux has been ported to the
PowerPC chip, which allows it to run natively, whereas VPC (I'm assuming)
has to emulate an entire x86 system, because Windows hasn't been ported to
the PowerPC.

-Evan