Newbies at the GUMs (Re: [wplug] LUG Ignorance)

Evan DiBiase edibiase at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 19:05:22 EST 2002

On 1/21/02 10:14 AM, "J Aaron Farr" <jaaron_farr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My only real suggestion would be if maybe at least the board members could
> formally open (and close?) the meeting by introducing the presentation, the
> topic and more importantly introducing themselves.  I think if newbies knew
> that, okay, those people there are the people in charge and know what's
> happening and if I have questions I can ask them, it would help a lot.  I
> don't think we all need name tags, but at least knowing who the board
> members are could help.  We may know them by name and email address, but not
> by face.
>
> The greeter idea could be nice too.  Even if it's just someone who welcomes
> the person in and asks, "Is this your first GUM?" if it's someone he/she
> doesn't recognize.

I think both of these ideas would be easy to implement and very effective,
with the first being easy and effective and the second just being effective
(unless we have someone who's willing to be a greeter right now, which would
ease the process considerably).

Or perhaps it's just my odd, public-speaking-loving side coming out.

-Evan