[wplug] AOL looking to buy Red Hat

Brian Sammon brians at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Jan 19 20:52:35 EST 2002

The most likely change from AOL buying Redhat seems (to me) to be:
They'd make redhat suck even worse than it currently does, while using their
marketing power to keep it's position as the most popular version of Linux and
encourage the misconception of "Redhat = Linux".
They'll also make Redhat even more annoying to support, as they'll probably
add some of the information-hiding (or information-obfuscating) tactics that
make Windows so annoying.
I'm not sure how much Linux being Opensource can counteract something like
this (aside from making workarounds for information-hiding possible)

In other words: Call your senators right now!!!!!