[wplug] Slackware problems

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Tue Jan 15 13:58:16 EST 2002

> I just installed slack 8.0 on my machine and it seems like it can't connect
> to the net.  I don't have a GUI on it.  Everything works internally, but
> when I ping google.com it says google.com can't be resolved.  How do I get
> it to go thru my firewall?

you should check your /etc/resolv.conf file and there should be a listing
such as:

  nameserver <ip>

if that is listed, try and ping that ip ... that well help determine if
there is in fact any network connectivitiy.

if it's a matter of firewalling ... you should have something similar to
this rule for your firewall:

iptables -A INPUT -s <ip> -p udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT

> Second, where do I put scripts that I want to run when the machine is
> booted?  I am guessing in some where in rc.d but in which file or can I just
> put it in that directory?

in linux, you'd just wanna throw whatever you want to be run on startup in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local .. you could even create your own rc.<whatever> file
and just call that file from rc.local to keep things neat and organized.

coldie