[wplug] Amazon Associates [Cart, Horse]

J Aaron Farr jaaron_farr at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:55:45 EST 2002

>From: "James O'Kane" <jo2y at midnightlinux.com>
>Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:55:45 -0500 (EST)
>
>On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> > I thought there was something on the wplug site about book
>recommendations
> > or reviews already.  Is that right?
>

>There is/was/should be, but my begging for people to submit book reviews
>and such have gone unfulfilled. Now is a good time to ask again. We have
>relationships with various vendors who will give us free stuff to raffle
>off or sell (depends on vendor), but they ask that we write reviews and
>post them on our website. The lack of reviews is one of the reasons I
>haven't done a raffle recently. I don't feel right asking for more
>freebies when we haven't done our part.
>
>This below is just me speaking as a member, not as the Chair, because I'm
>not 100% for the board's opinion.
>
>Reviews aren't restricted to just books or freebies from vendors. I think
>we should build a resource of opinions of the open source friendliness of
>various businesses in Pittsburgh, or elsewhere. For example, if someone
>wanted to write a review of Telerama that highlights why they are better
>for you than Verizon if you run linux. (I think most people on the list
>already know, we need something for casual visitors of the website)
>
>In summary, having a large collection of opinions can help us be a
>resource for the Western PA area.
>

>-james

As far as book reviews go, I have a small library of computer books myself,
most of which I've never read cover to cover but used more as reference
books or 'this looks interesting, I'll read this chapter today' type of
books.  However, I'll see what I can do about picking a couple and writing
some reviews about them if you'd like.  I'd like to know better what we're
looking for in a review though.

As for opinions and related resources, I think that this kind of material
could really help wplug.

-jaaron