[wplug] Amazon Associates [Cart, Horse]

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Tue Jan 15 09:55:45 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> I thought there was something on the wplug site about book recommendations
> or reviews already.  Is that right?

There is/was/should be, but my begging for people to submit book reviews
and such have gone unfulfilled. Now is a good time to ask again. We have
relationships with various vendors who will give us free stuff to raffle
off or sell (depends on vendor), but they ask that we write reviews and
post them on our website. The lack of reviews is one of the reasons I
haven't done a raffle recently. I don't feel right asking for more
freebies when we haven't done our part.

This below is just me speaking as a member, not as the Chair, because I'm
not 100% for the board's opinion.

Reviews aren't restricted to just books or freebies from vendors. I think
we should build a resource of opinions of the open source friendliness of
various businesses in Pittsburgh, or elsewhere. For example, if someone
wanted to write a review of Telerama that highlights why they are better
for you than Verizon if you run linux. (I think most people on the list
already know, we need something for casual visitors of the website)

In summary, having a large collection of opinions can help us be a
resource for the Western PA area.

-james