[wplug] Official word on Telerama DSL

Doug Luce doug at telerama.com
Thu Jan 10 16:53:00 EST 2002

Someone just forwarded a link to the archives containing the DSL
discussion from last weekend.  I just wanted to chime in with some
official answers to questions posed.

Telerama gives out multiple statics (up to 3) if you want 'em, and you
don't even need to run NAT.  In addition, you can just use DHCP to get
globally-routable addresses assigned to additional computers.  I run one
box with a static address at my house, and have three wireless laptops
that use DHCP to obtain addresses from Telerama.  I don't run a router:
everything is hooked to a cheap hub that's connected directly to the ADSL
modem.  It's sort of like Telerama doing NAT for you, except the addresses
are globally routable (i.e. *not* "10.0.0.1" etc.)

The basic ADSL service is sold at $48.95 for "personal use".  This does
not exclude servers.  My personal use includes running an SSH server, mail
server for my personal domain, FTP server for downloading the odd item
from home, and a single-stream server fed by a cam pointed at my cat.

I also run a web server for family to download digital photographs.  I
think this is the upper bound of acceptable usage on a DSL line.
Services provided for you and a small group of friends/family is pretty
much what I've got in mind.

There are some obvious no-no's: running a public MUD, setting up a Linux
distribution site, hosting your company's web site, etc.  I'm not going to
let you pay $48.95 for an uplink for your own ISP, either.  I am also not
real hip on people leaving Kazaa, Morpheus or a Gnutella client connected
to the search network 24 hours a day.

Hope that answers things, and I hope nobody's too upset at me plugging
Telerama on the list.

Doug Luce
Founder
Telerama