[wplug] [wplug-announce] Installfest on January 12, 2002

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Sun Jan 6 18:11:20 EST 2002

Greetings penguin-heads!

	This coming Saturday, January 12, 2002, WPLUG will be hosting an
Installfest.  It will take place in Carnegie Mellon's Newel-Simon Hall
Room 1507, from 10am until 5pm.  At this installfest we are going to be
trying some new things, so please read the entirety of this
announcement.  As usual, please feel free to bring your computer and get
some help installing Linux.  Either bring a CD with your favorite
distribution on it, or email the main list with a request for a distro.
Network installs are also possible if you have a network card in your
system and bring some floppies, but it is best to not rely on this
option.  WPLUG's crack team of installers (well, it's not quite that
formal) will be available to help.  If you are interested in installing
Red Hat, please read the next paragraph.

	Beth Lauris will be running a hands on tutorial installation of
RedHat 7.2.  She will demonstrate an installation on the projector in
the front of the room, and those who want to can follow along on their
own computers, asking questions along the way.  If you are interested in
taking part in this please email Beth to let her know:
bluekanary at yahoo.com.  This installation is meant for people new to
Linux, or people who want to learn more about the Red Hat install
process.  At the March installfest, there will be a similar tutorial on
the installation of Debian.  Note that if you don't want to install
RedHat at this installfest, that is fine.  Bring a CD with your favorite
distro on it, or email the main list and request a distro.

	In addition, James O'Kane will be leading a clustering project.  At
Saturday's GUM, we discussed some possibilities for building a cluster.
We decided that a load-balancing cluster would be the easiest to try on
such short notice. If you want to participate, please bring a machine
with any OS, but one that has a basic webserver installed and running on
port 80. I will bring a machine with LVS (www.linuxvirtualserver.org)
installed and we can go over its configfile and setup, then we can hit
the cluster and see what kind of load we see. We will be starting at 12
noon or so.  If you are interested, please email James O'Kane
(jo2y at midnightlinux.com).  This project is meant for people with a
working system and basic linux experience. (Enough experience to get
apache installed and working.)  Basic understanding of TCP/IP would be
helpful, but not required.

	It is generally good etiquette to do the following:
		* Bring a power strip (to make sure that we have enough to go around)
		* Bring some Cat5 network cable so you can get on the network
and internet to do network 		   installs.
		* Label things with your name if possible
		* Backup anything on your system you don't want to lose
		* If you currently run Windows, defragment your hard drive
		* Come prepared with some basic knowledge of your system
		* Bring $5 dollars for pizza.  More if you're going to want
something from the vending machines

	Maps and directions can be found in the Meeting Info sidebar of the
wplug website: http://www.wplug.org.

Hope to see you all there!!

Zach || monkeybot || The -plan list || The WPLUG Board of Directors ||
The Installfest Committee || hmm.. donuts