[wplug] Re: .Net Launch

John Harrold harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue Feb 5 11:21:06 EST 2002

Sometime in February Luquilla Hughes assaulted keyboard and produced...

|I got Office XP when I took my graduate class, and since I couldn't upgrade
|it would have cost me ~ $500 on the street so I figure I got a ~$500
|discount on the class(except I like and use star office mostly).
|Pitt will give you a copy of Windows 98/me/xp/2k while you are a student
|there if you ask, and they have a list of other software you can get.( I
|think they even had a copy of Redhat.) If you have a Pitt ID and ask in the
|lab they give you a CD-rom with a bunch of 'free' programs, i.e.
|staroffice(win) and acrobat reader.

|-me

while it's possible pitt gets the software free from microsoft, i really
doubt it. most likely they have worked out a site license with them. since you
and i both pay fees, tuition, etc (or someone does if not us directly), i
wouldnt call it free. similar to how we use the roads and other public
services for "free". we just pay in one large sum: april 14th for the roads,
and in the spring, fall, and possibly summer for software.

so in theory (grad students like to speculate like this), if we were not
paying the site license for microsoft products we could spend the money on
something else like more computers.

--
john
"have algorithm-will travel"