[wplug] General question

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Sun Feb 3 13:07:59 EST 2002

> > This is a general (very basic) question about linux/unix/networking. I
> > know that I have some number of available tty's on my system (I think
> > it's 7 or so). This means that I can have 7 different users logged in at
> > any given time (concurrently), right? Is this upper limit of users
> > limited by my OS (linux vs. BSD or HP/X or...), or is it a configurable
>
> For one, those are console TTYs.  They are configurable, but I don't know
> the maximum.

i don't know the absolute maximum, but i don't know how to utilize more
than twelve at a time .. there are two files you would want to edit.  if
you open up /etc/inittab in your favorite text editor, you'll find lines
that look like:

c1:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux

on a default slackware installation, for example, there are six of these
lines i believe.  the last tty has an additional run level associated with
it.  namely:

c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty7 linux

now when you start X on this machine, the X windows display becomes the
next available tty, namely 7.  you can extend the number of ttys by
creating lines for tty7-tty11 and you will still have tty12 available for
X.  you can extend the inittab to 12 ttys and still run X .. but X now
becomes tty13 and like i mentioned before, i don't know how to get to
those ones :)

oh, and lastly, you may want to edit your /etc/securetty file as well.
this file tells you which consoles root can log in on.  add lines for the
new tty's if you'd like.

> What telnet, ssh, and remote X use are called pseudo terminals (PTYs).
> By default, you can have 256 PTYs in linux 2.4 with a max of 2048.

this is configurable when you compile your kernel under character devices.