[wplug] General question

Doug Green doug.green at verizon.net
Sun Feb 3 01:42:41 EST 2002

Hi all-

This is a general (very basic) question about linux/unix/networking. I
know that I have some number of available tty's on my system (I think
it's 7 or so). This means that I can have 7 different users logged in at
any given time (concurrently), right? Is this upper limit of users
limited by my OS (linux vs. BSD or HP/X or...), or is it a configurable
feature? Can I serve X-windows to all of them, if so, how (something
like porting the display to a different tty)? Finally, how do the "big
computers" like the servers at Pitt (or an ISP like Telerama) handle so
many users at once- do they have a ton of computers (each with 7 or so
users) or is there some way to configure how many tty's your system
listens for?
Thanks!

Doug

PS- The origin of the question is that is Scaife Hall (Pitt campus),
there are a number of dumb-terminals- all of which have X-windows being
ported to them. There are probably 20 terminals on the 4th floor alone.
Are these all connected to the SAME server?? If so HOW?