[wplug] Update on Pitt

John Harrold harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Fri Feb 1 09:14:00 EST 2002

Sometime in January MICHAEL M DELANEY assaulted keyboard and produced...

|The CS dept. uses linux?  A few of the grad TA's, proffs, and those others
|lucky enough to have their own office might, on their box, but some of the
|proff's also have sparcs and other non-pc's, it seems to be on kind of an
|individal basis.  I was a CS TA over the summer, the boxes in the
|undergrad ta/officeless proff's office were nt or 2k, they had the ability
|to boot into some version of Red Hat, but I never saw anyone ever use it.
|Also, the boxes in the econ lab are dual boot, but linux was only used
|once in a while for clustering (I heard that from the guy who runs the
|lab), but they bought a dedicated small "cluster", 4 rackmounted sun
|netra's.  The only publicly accessable linux boxes on campus that I know
|of, other then the new lab, is the math lab in thack.
|Mike

we use linux in our lab (grad students) on all of the machines but two. there
is a lone nt machine and a laptop that dual boots. i work in a computational
group in chemical enginnering. there are three other profs that do
computational work and i'm pretty sure that the others use linux for their
desktops and some of the computational work.

--
john
"have algorithm-will travel"