[wplug] Grub - Windows Drive arrangements.....

William N. Powell billpwl1 at attbi.com
Sun Dec 29 00:22:38 EST 2002

My new installation of RH 8.0 w/ Grub as the bootloader caused some
strange mapping of my drives in windows.  RH is on a 16 gig IDE Drive
and Winblows is on an old 4 gig SCSI HD. The CD Rom drives are located
at SCSI ID's of 0,2,0 and 0,4,0 in the parlance of Linux SCSI addressing.

Below is the 'DOS' section of my grub.conf file.  The default install of
grub did not include the two lines that start with 'map' to change the
virtual mapping of the two hard drives so that Windows sees the SCSI
Hard drive as the first hard drive.

title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)

Now to the problem:  In Windows, the only recognized hard drive was the
Windows SCSI drive as C: and it's second Partition as D:.  The CDROMs
were E: and F:.  In the past using LILO with older distro's, LILO's
mapping did not disurb the layout of Windows drive naming scheme.
 Previously, with LILO in Windows, the Linux Hard drive was no where to
be found(as is should be).

With the new Grub install.  What I assume to be the Linux hard drive now
shows up as D: although it is not accessable.  The second partition of
the Windows SCSI gets shuffled down to E: and the CDROM drives are now
F: and G:.  This messes up any shared folders I had and numerous
configuration files.

I think the difference is that the bootloader is installed on the Linux
drive MBR instead of the SCSI MBR as I believe it was in the past.

Does this sound like the cause?

I just have to figure out how to get grub to install it's bootloader on
the SCSI MBR.

Will have to dig for The Fine Manual.

Bill