[wplug] OpenSSH

Henry Umansky hmust2+ at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 25 20:12:09 EST 2002

Merry xmas everyone, I just installed OpenSSH and I am trying to start an
ssh daemon
service.  It seems to start alright and the logs don't give me any errors.
However, when I try to login with the following command "ssh
<username>@localhost" it gives me the password prompt, after entering the
correct password it says "Access denied" and then I look in /var/log/secure
it gives me the following error:

"sshd[<random pid #>]: Failed password for <username> from <IP address> port
<port>"

Even when I tried to login from a different machine, it gives me the same
"Access denied" error.  I know the username and password are correct, but it
does this for any user I attempt to login with.  I tried different config
files, I tried a blank one, which will start sshd with the default
configuration, didn't work, then I tried my friends config file, he got his
sshd working, but that file didn't work on my machine.  I have a feeling it
has something to do with PAM, but I have no idea how to let anyone on my
passwd file authenticate.  I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.7-10 and
OpenSSH version 3.3p1.

Henry
hmust2 [at] pitt [dot] edu