[wplug] LILO/GRUB

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 19 09:33:18 EST 2002

> I was wondering if it was possible to install Lilo of Grub on a system
> that was currently running WIN XP.  If it is possible where would you

One way to install GRUB on a computer is to start by making a GRUB floppy.
 Once you have GRUB on a floppy, you can install it on any computer,
regardless of what/whether it has an OS.

The tricky part is getting the floppy made.  The official way to make a
GRUB floppy requires a compiler and the various other development tools.
It's easiest to do on Linux.  It's probably been done on other versions of
Unix.  I"m not sure if you can build grub with cygwin or djgpp.
There are probably disk-images that you can rawrite out there somewhere,
but I don't know where they are.