[wplug] open relays

Patryk Laurent patryk at snt-inc.com
Wed Dec 18 14:22:33 EST 2002

One way to check to see if it was an open relay would be to telnet to
the box on its SMTP port, and try to send "fakemail" through it;
basically you would type something like this:

user$ telnet myfriends.box.com 25
helo patrykfake.com
mail from:fakeuser at patrykfake.com
rcpt to:jmh17 at pitt.edu
data
This is a test message
If this gets accepted for delivery, then myfriends.box.com is an open
relay, because there's no way it should be delivering this message.
.

That should do it.  You may also want to try sending fake mail with the
same method from a fake pitt.edu address (like fakeuser at pitt.edu).

Good luck,
Patryk