[wplug] open relays

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 18 15:06:54 EST 2002

Sometime in December Patryk Laurent assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Well the problem is that they are telling you it *IS* an open relay.  If
| I understand correctly, you're trying to find out whether that in fact
| is the case.   The test I was suggesting should verify this.
|
| Brian was telling you how to go about *allowing* relaying through your
| system.  I'm not sure that's really what you were looking for, but I may
| be incorrect.
|
| Patryk

i was just trying to figure out how sendmail works. i wanted to know if it
explicitly rejects any hosts not mentioned in that file.

more on the topic, he found out that the email was coming from his web
server. evidently he had some perl script that allowed students to send
mail. someone selling porn and a good cigarettes found this webpage and was
using it to pump out his spam.

thanks for the suggestions though.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
google is everything to everybody