[wplug] Red Hat 8.0 clock problem

Liu Duan lduan at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 14 20:40:02 EST 2002

Hi.

I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on a IBM Thinkpad T23. It co-exists with Windows
XP (on different partitions), but there is a problem with the system clock.

XP doesn't seem to understand UTC, I can't find any setting for that. So it
treats the BIOS time as the local time, which means that my BIOS clock *has*
to be set to local time...

Now, when I installed RedHat I told it that the clock uses UTC time, hoping
that I could change Windows behavior. But that's not the case, so now I'm
trying to make RedHat NOT use UTC and use the BIOS time as local.

When I run redhat-config-date, there is a checkbox that sets the use of UTC
time, I uncheck this, it looks as if it accepts the setting, but when I
reboot it messes up the clock again (sets it -5hrs to the local time because
it still thinks that BIOS time = UTC).

I also tried manually editing /etc/sysconfig/clock, which now looks like this:
ZONE="America/New_York"
UTC=0
ARC=0

But no progress, on every boot the system sets the clock to BIOS date minus 5
hours.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Liu