[wplug] Red Hat 8.0 for $20

John S. Post jpost at cvzoom.net
Sat Dec 14 16:41:34 EST 2002

<2cents>
Negatives:
>> By default, MP3s do not run in XMMS:
	Therefor I needed to download the mpg123 plugin here
	http://staff.xmms.org/priv/redhat8/
>> By default hdparm command does not work:
	Background:
		In the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local I have inserted the line
			hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd
		to speed up my DVD player for Ogle and mplayer on
		redhat 7.x, but Redhat 8.0 by default doesn't allow
		hdparm to speed up hardware.
	To make Redhat 8.0 allow hdparm to speed up the cdrom, add the
	following line to /etc/modules.conf
		options ide-cd dma=1
>> This may be a gnome2 thing, not a Redhat8.0 thing...
	In Redhat 7.x/Gnome 1.x, I could alternate click and kill
	an application in the Window List on the Gnome Panel. All I
	can do now is close the application.
>> [Nit Pick] I've made drawers in a gnome panel...
	The icons in the drawers rearrange themselves each
	time I restart X
>> Linksys WPC11 was difficult to setup...
	The following URL (thread and post 9), was very helpful
	http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/31615
	(BTW: Now that WPC11 works... so does airsnort!)
Positives:
>> In my opinion, 8.0 is the best Redhat release...
>> Bluecurve is very nice.
>> Following included applications:
	Gnome2
	StarOffice 1.0.1
	Ximian Evolution 1.0.8
	Mozilla 1.0.1
>> It has been quite stable and quite responsive.
</2cents>