[wplug] More non-IOS CD stuff and a NEW TOPIC - encryption !!

Coutch, Robert Robert_E_Coutch at tvratings.com
Mon Dec 9 13:42:13 EST 2002

Hi all,

Thanks for the help with the non-iso9660 CD burning questions.

I found out something interesting........

I finally was able to read ext2 formatted CD's when the drive was using the
ide-scsi module by
creating a loop file with 2048 byte blocksize and formatting it with ext2
set for 2048 blocksize.

Any other blocksize and the drives using ide-scsi could not read the CD.

I could read any blocksize from CD ROM drives NOT using the ide-scsi module.

======== Now for a new topic ==============

As a next phase of the above project I wanted to encrypt the data on the CD.

At home I run SuSE 7.3 which has a loop_fish2 module that allows losetup to
encrypt/decrypt using twofish.
( losetup -e twofish /dev/loop0 /imagefile )

I opted not to use losetup's DES encryption because I hear it can be easily
cracked. Any opinions on this?

My problem is that my other machine runs RH 7.2 with the bcm5820 module
being the only thing I saw there dealing with encryption (what is it for?),
and my laptop w/ RH8 which has a cryptoloop module that I could find NO info
about.

I searched the internet for more info on encrypted filesystems with very
LITTLE success.
These all seem to be kernel related topics but kernel.org was no help
either.

How can I get twofish (or any other) encryption on RedHat  -- OR --
Can anyone point me to a good source of info on encrypted filesystems and
how to set everything up ?

Thanks for any help again,

Bob