[wplug] Red Hat 8.0 for $20

bgtrio at yahoo.com bgtrio at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 08:11:30 EST 2002

Regarding the comparison of Redhat 8.0 to Windows,

My experience has been exactly the opposite.  The *only* problems I've had
with redhat 8.0, under heavy desktop use, has been with my unusual ALSA
sound configuration required by my cheapo sound chipset that isn't
supported by the OSS/Free drivers yet.  The OS itself
has been not only rock solid, but the new configuration tools have allowed
me to succeed in figuring out some samba and nfs issues that just required
too much time investment in the past to explore.  The new display
configuration dialog is also a godsend, saving me a lot of time mucking
about in XF86Config files.  To paraphrase the Python motto, the new
configuration menus have made the easy things easy and the hard things
possible.  You can still muck about in the config files when necessary,
but you don't have to do so nearly so often.  In this respect, this
release of RedHat represents the first linux distribution to approach
Windows in terms of ease of use.

The Bluecurve theme is beautiful.  I use Blackbox for my wm, but
Mozilla, gtk-Gnutella, X-Chat and a load of other applications benefit
from the design work they did.  I hope OpenOffice.org can capitalize on
gtk themes soon as well.

I can't imagine what is causing you to require daily restarts.  I have
found this release to be as stable as the 7.3 release.  My current uptime
is 28 days, 52 minutes, I've had no crashes requiring a reboot since
upgarding, my last reboot was when I moved the computer across the room.

So in summary, if RedHat 8.0 has been like windows for me, it's been in
terms of usability rather than instability.

Regards,
Bryon