[wplug] Problems with my install

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Mon Dec 9 00:23:50 EST 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002 23:52, you wrote:
> 1)- I will have to figure the mouse out somehow.. I may put the old
> one back on to try.

<wild idea>
It doesn't move when you move it slowly, or when you move it a little?
It's possible that by moving it slowly the mouse perceives many small
movements and due to a treshold of some sort discards them. Perhaps
adjusting the sensitivity of the mouse from the preference menus helps?
</wild idea>

> 2)- During boot, I get the message  Bringing up interface eth0
> [FAILED] that is my first indication that the network will not load.

This means that it's trying to figure out its IP via DHCP and fails.

What I don't know is how you normally assign an IP to that card. Is it
the interface of your internal network? In that case I suppose you
assign it a reserved fixed IP. You can do that through the network
device control menus (can't tell you where exactly because mine are
blank - I didn't use the gui tools for that).

In the unlikely case that you DO want a DHCP-assigned IP, you just got
to tell it not to activate the card on boot. That's in the menus as
well.

>  Then when I try
>      to manually start it in networking, it takes awhile and gives me
> the message
>      that it can't be activated.  I tried typing in the address as
> well, but didn't work.

What exactly does "tried typing in the address" mean? You tried to give
it a static IP and it didn't accept it, or ...? How did you do that?

> Could not look up internet address for x1-6-00-09-56-07-44-d7
> (note: these numbers changed since I emailed you)

very weird (at best looks like a MAC, but MACs don't change on their
own...)

> This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
> It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
> x1-6-00-09-56-07-44-d7 to the file /etc/hosts.
>                            	 Log in anyway     Try again

extremely weird :-)

I'd except the problem to go once you configure your second card
correctly. DO NOT add anything to /etc/hosts.

Erm the output of /sbin/ifconfig -a would be helpful here, as well as
/sbin/lsmod and /sbin/lspci -vv (all as root). If you can't cut+paste
them, just redirect their output to a file, as in

/sbin/ifconfig -a > output.txt
/sbin/lsmod >> output.txt
/sbin/lspci -vv >> output.txt

and then mail that to us.

Hope this helps

- -A
- --
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265