[wplug] Writing non-iso CD's

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 3 11:28:38 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:03:17AM -0500, Coutch, Robert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm researching writing non-iso9660 CD's (and non-UDF).
> I wanted to experiment with making a CD with other filesystems on it.
> I tried creating an ext2 image file and burning it out to CD with no
> success.
>
> I changed my fstab entry to auto for the CD-ROM and it reads iso9660 and UDF
> CD's just fine.
>
> I've already though about a loopback file containing another filesystem
> burned to a CD using iso9660
> but this isn't where I was trying to go.
>
> Has anyone had any success doing this?

I've burnt .tar.gz's using cdrecord just fine, and read them back using
tar directly on the device.  I don't see why burning an ext2 fs would be
any different.  Keep in mind that you don't get the advantages of
iso9660 (such as multi-sessions), but you may not be concerned for such
things.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.