[wplug] Kernel Issues

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 23:08:17 EST 2002

Hello all.

Well, I'm finally taking a crack at installing Gentoo and my own
kernel.  After some initial aggravation I finally got the kernel to at
least start.  However, I'm hanging up somewhere.  The last messages
printed to the screen are:

NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0

And that's it.  I'm not certain that the entire networking process is up
and running because I never see a message from rtnetlink.c saying
something like "Initializing RT netlink socket".  So I don't think this
is initializing (it should, shouldn't it?).  Definitely I'm halting
before the init() process begins and I start initializing drivers. So
perhaps this is where the problem is.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have any idea what Kernel
configuration parameters might be a good place to start debugging this?
(I'm configuring the kernel using "make menuconfig" under
/usr/src/linux). Right now I'm working on gentoo's custom kernel,
although if I keep having problems, I might switch to compiling a
generic kernel.org kernel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
--