[wplug] wplug openafs cell?

Edward Walter ewalter at walterama.com
Sun Dec 1 21:04:26 EST 2002

What kind of capabilities does OpenAFS have?  I read the success stories
and they talk about things like redundancy and automatic backups.  How do
these things happen?  Also, what kind of protocols does OpenAFS rely on or
more importantly, tunnel over.  For example, can I mount an OpenAFS volume
locally over an SSH tunnel without having to wave a dead chicken over my
pc, or do I need to do more traditional vpn stuff for that to happen.
Also, I'm looking at ways to distribute redundant storage across multiple
machines.  How well does OpenAFS do this?  Is it reasonable to setup, or
am I better off looking at something like the clustered filesystem that
oracle just GPLed for this purpose.  Sorry for all the questions, but your
post got me reading and brainstorming a little.
-Ed