[wplug] Newbie Network question.

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Sun Dec 1 19:57:33 EST 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 19:26, Kubbie wrote:
<snip>
>  about Linux.  The system has a network card built on the motherboard
> (worked with Windows installed on it) and a second network card
> installed in one of its two PCI slots (also worked when Windows was
<snip>
> When I installed the OS, it seemed that it may have only detected one
> network card.  Me haveing a very limited knowledge about the OS, I do
> not know exactly where I need to look to see if only one card was
> detected, and if so, which is missing (and why).

You'll need some information about what has been detected and what
hasn't. Most likely the on board card has not been detected, and your
PCI card *has* been detected.

To get an idea about what you have connected to your motherboard, do (as
root)

/sbin/lspci -vv

To find out which card has been activated, the loaded drivers reported
by /sbin/lsmod might give you an idea. Usually they are quite cryptic
in notation, but you can look up the module names with a search engine
(e.g. eepro100 is an Intel EtherExpress 100, 8139too is a quite common
Realtek chip etc)

You can always look under the hood to see the actual cards and their
types, of course. :-)

<snip>
>  Also, this is very minor in my need to know right now, and I might
> never use it, but when I type "startx" it comes back with Fatal
> Error:No sceeens found.  I did go through the config, but it still
> comes up with the error.

First of all, are you trying to startx as root or as a regular user?
Second of all, try running the XF86Config tool again and selecting a
different video driver (perhaps generic VGA) and/or a lower resolution
VESA screen mode.

This message usually means that no video card / monitor combination
could be used (permissions problems aside).

These should get you started!

Good luck

- -A
- --
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265