[wplug] Bizarre behavior with a wireless network card.

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Sat Aug 31 01:35:36 EDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Nick Iglehart wrote:

> I had similiar problems when I was running Redhat 7.1 on my laptop.  I was
> too busy at the time to properly investigate so I would completely removed
> all references to the card and reinstall it from scratch and it would work
> again.

I've had to do that a few times, and it's worked for a while before
kicking out again.

> Before I figured out what was wrong I installed RH 7.3 and never had a
> problem since.

I may have figured out what was going on.  As long as there is a matching
entry in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts for every entry in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, the card works, at least so far.  The other
thing I've managed to piece together is that the default TX key set in the
WAP is the key that should be listed at the end of the KEY="" line in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts (if more than one WEP key is set, the final one
should be the default).

I'm going to play around some more with it and see what happens.

--
Encrypted private e-mail preferred.
public key: http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key

"Take that smile off your face/wipe that tear from your eye/
	don't say you're sorry for me..."  --Gary Numan, _Stormtrooper In Drag_