[wplug] lprng vs cups.

Edward Walter ewalter at walterama.com
Wed Aug 28 16:48:06 EDT 2002

At one point, in a past life, I deployed a linux print server to replace
an existing NT print server that was acting flaky.  I did samba
integration with automagic driver downloads etc.  The sticking point that
made me choose cups over lprng was that we had printers that weren't
natively supported by lprng.  The vendor provided a ppd (postscript
printer definition?) file which was trivially easy to use with CUPS.  I
tried to import the same file into lprng and gave up in frustration.

I believe that RedHat is also moving to CUPS as it's default printing
engine/server.  Cups is also supported on a wide variety of other
distributions and OSes including the BSDs and MacOS X.  Hope that helps.
-Edward Walter