[wplug] lprng vs cups.

John 'el asesino del pollo' Harrold harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Wed Aug 28 10:08:19 EDT 2002

hey.

i'm looking to make printing easier and better than before in my lab. this
is the current setup we have:

we have a central server with a print spool located on it. all of the
workstations have rlpr installed and a file in /etc that looks like this:
  <rlprrc>
  hydra.pg: scribe21 scribe scribe2 quill scribe4 scribe8 scribe16
  </rlprrc>

this works out well enough for me but there are a few things i would like
for the rest of the people in the lab.

   o integration into applications
      ie goto file -> print the printers are located there in some clickish
      fashion. more appealing to people who don't want to type commands.
   o take advantage of more of the features of the printer.
      economy mode, different dpi, multiple pages per face.

so i want something that will allow me to achieve these goals. i also don't
want to have to muck around too much on the workstation (ie installing on
the workstations is easily scriptable).

both lprng and cups are integrated into the kde applications (anyone know
about gnome?).  on usenet i read some stuff that suggested cups would be
better for the second point above, but that it was more buggy than lprng.

would anyone like to share their opinions of the two and suggest a method
for installing/sharing print spools (perhaps via nis)?

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17 at pitt.edu        |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
Rob a convenience store and you're a "thief". Screw thousands
of people out of their life savings, send them to the
unemployment lines and beat the economy when it's already
down and you're "corporate wrongdoer".