[wplug] ISPs that support Linux and have West Virginia dialups??

chromexa at ovis.net chromexa at ovis.net
Tue Aug 27 14:29:02 EDT 2002

> ** Original Subject: Re: Re: [wplug] ISPs that support Linux and have West Virginia
dialups??
> ** Original Sender: "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org>
> ** Original Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:32:05 -0400 (EDT)

> ** Original Message follows...

> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 @ 1:08pm (-0400), James O'Kane wrote:
>
> JO> There is also a distinction to be made. An ISP can technilogically support
> JO> linux vs. an ISP that you can call and ask linux questions.
> JO> AOL is neither because you need their client.
>
> ....ehhh, 99% of ISPs use PPP.  99% use CHAP or PAP authentication.  On the
> far end it's RAIDUS or TACACS, but that's transparent to the user. All
> supported in userland pppd.  One thing to note is the lack of documentation
> on debugging messages.
>
> Concerns arise with RAS gear.  Cisco, Lucent (Livingston), & Ascend are your
> big players.  Analog modem capatability is anyones guess.
>
> Other concerns are DSL network architecures as well as ISDN support (beyond
> the scope of this discussion)
>
> ISPs should be spending the time to provide linux documentation to customers
> as well as thier support staff.  I know I did when I was in the hole at
> Stargate.
>
> What version (author and version) of ppp do you all have your systems?  My
> debian box has the same version I see in most BSDs.  Written by Paul
> Mackerras version 2.4.1.  Irronically an rc.d init script is included with
> the stock install but the package is absent.  More recently Debian supidity.
>
> -lava
>
> JO> Telerama is both.
> JO> Most other ISPs fit the first one where if you know the ppp settings
> JO> needed, you can connect without problems.
> JO>
> JO> -james

> later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
> Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
>                   | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
>                   | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email
>
> PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

Ok Stargate says they don't officially  "support Linux"
but they have technicians who are very skilled. My real
suspicion is that some ISPs see Linux as sort of  a good
deal more difficult,  not something when you can give
someone a disk with an "all singing,  all dancing" install
file and then any random can do it and ask them a very
minimum of technical questions.

It also might be me. I don't often project the technical
bravado image that some like to see. But I can generally
do most things. With all the virus stuff going around I have
gotten pretty proficient in mucking around in the registry.
But enuff microsoft garble-de-gook already. :)

So I see a few more technical details maybe necessary
but I suspect I can handle them. There are a few Linux
people around here. And most places support MACs,
so they are supporting BSD with a fancy GUI.

Anyway thanks for all the info, and wish me luck. If my
local ISP won't go for it. I'll go with Stargate.

Have Fun,
Sends STeve

Have Fun,
Sends Steve