[wplug] ISPs that support Linux and have West Virginia dialups??

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Mon Aug 26 17:24:43 EDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 @ 1:08pm (-0400), James O'Kane wrote:

JO> There is also a distinction to be made. An ISP can technilogically support
JO> linux vs. an ISP that you can call and ask linux questions.
JO> AOL is neither because you need their client.

...ehhh, 99% of ISPs use PPP.  99% use CHAP or PAP authentication.  On the
far end it's RAIDUS or TACACS, but that's transparent to the user. All
supported in userland pppd.  One thing to note is the lack of documentation
on debugging messages.

Concerns arise with RAS gear.  Cisco, Lucent (Livingston), & Ascend are your
big players.  Analog modem capatability is anyones guess.

Other concerns are DSL network architecures as well as ISDN support (beyond
the scope of this discussion)

ISPs should be spending the time to provide linux documentation to customers
as well as thier support staff.  I know I did when I was in the hole at
Stargate.

What version (author and version) of ppp do you all have your systems?  My
debian box has the same version I see in most BSDs.  Written by Paul
Mackerras version 2.4.1.  Irronically an rc.d init script is included with
the stock install but the package is absent.  More recently Debian supidity.

-lava