[wplug] misinformation

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Mon Aug 19 03:57:07 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Supansic <rsupansic at libcom.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:04:20 -0400

> I inadvertently provided some erroneous information during this past Saturday's Tutorial...
>
> Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn allow one to move up or down through multi-screen output, one-
> half screen at a time...
>
> (I erroneously reported that Shift+UpArrow and Shift+DownArrow provided this functionality.)

No problem, Robert. Actually, I had said it was Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn during the session. It's possible that nobody heard me.

Actually, I did have a lingering doubt about something I had said during the tutorial. I had thought that the permissions required for deleting a file with rm belong to the containing directory, not the file being deleted. I tested this later on a SunOS box with bash and got some weird results. But here at home, I found out that you need rwx permission on the directory to delete the file.

Try it:
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ mkdir foo
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ touch foo/bar
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ chmod 500 foo
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ ls foo
bar
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ rm foo/bar
rm: cannot unlink `foo/bar': Permission denied
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ chmod 700 foo
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ chmod 000 foo/bar
[eksortso at milo eksortso]$ rm foo/bar
rm: remove write-protected file `foo/bar'? y

> BTW, I want to thank everyone, especially Jim O"Kane, for making the Tutorial so
> worthwhile.

Yes, thanks, James! You did a great job on Saturday. That takes guts, working practically without a safety net, but you done it. Nice work!

--- David Ostroske
    eksortso at linuxmail.org